Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Somersaults and a Sealed Envelope

I am 12 weeks pregnant today! Yesterday we had our third ultrasound and it was hilarious to see my baby doing (almost literal) somersaults in the womb. Practicing flip turns? Martial arts? LARPing? (insert other active yet geeky action here). We got several pictures; though, you can barely see the arms and legs in any of the six we received since baby would move them out of sight whenever the doctor hit the button.


We also received our results from some genetic testing we had done. For this test, a lab took my blood 2 weeks ago. This test isolates the fetal DNA in my blood in which they test for chromosomal problems such as Down syndrome, Edwards syndrome and a few syndromes and disorders; it can also tell you the sex of your baby by seeing if there is a "Y" present. My doctor called me Monday telling me the results are in -- which I promptly told him that I wanted him to not reveal the sex of the baby yet as we want to do a "gender reveal" party with my family. Upon arriving at the doctor's office yesterday, I picked up a sealed security envelope with this top secret information inside. My husband began telling me right away to open it and that he couldn't wait. I, of course, refused. :) The doctor told us that all the results were normal and thus far no chromosomal or genetic deficiencies were detected; these are of course only for the ones that the test looks for -- but so far everything is looking good!

The envelope still resides in my purse... for now. I'm itching to know. I even had several dreams last night about the results of the gender being boy or girl (switching with each dream). Within the next week or so, we'll reveal the sex to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment